Monday, March 28, 2011

week 13 of praying God's word

I fell back into my old ways and didn't post about praying God's word for last week.
Oops.
But, I just continued with Isaiah 58.  It was too rich to only spend one week on it, so I spent two.
God really spoke to me as I was reading through this book the past two weeks.  I feel like I am much better at the serving aspect than I am at the inward holiness aspect of being a Jesus follower {that is not to say that I am GOOD at the serving thing, just better.}. 
However, as I have entered into the season of Lent, I was struck at how God makes it clear that He has no interest in days spent with our "knees on the floor" if it doesn't result in a change in the way we handle those around us.
It seems so simple that surely if we are working on ourselves inwardly that outward results would also be seen, but it doesn't always happen that way.
As Chris and I were discussing this one evening, we decided that in the future for Lent that we want to continue to give things up to the Lord for a season, but we also want our family to engage in some kind of daily/weekly service together.  I can't wait already!

This week, I will be spending time on this verse.
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17

If you haven't joined in with us yet but would like to, it's not too late!  Just choose a verse to pray and meditate on for the week or use the one I post here. 
 Blessings, friends.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Just catching up on blogs and read this post. I was struck with the same truth this Lent season...that my fasting from something was only beneficial if I was replacing it with service to God's precious children. For some reason, that had never really, fully occurred to me. I felt like simply giving something up in the name of Jesus was holy...But Isaiah 58 will slap you in the face with a whole other truth...in a good way, of course :)

Also wanted to let you know that we are praying for y'alls work in Ghana! I think about y'all often and know the Lord will continue to bless your work there (and here).