Saturday, November 21, 2009

low prices. low expectations.

I have a funny story to share with you from my Wal-Mart escapade yesterday. I had been planning to make my big grocery trip for the next several days, including Thanksgiving, on Friday {yesterday} all week long. Even though it was raining, I was determined to go and get it over with because honestly grocery shopping isn't my favorite thing to do. And, who really enjoys going to Wal-Mart? So, I set out on Friday morning to get it done. All the shopping itself went fine, and my cart was loaded down. I probably couldn't have fit much more in it, and I definitely couldn't have pushed it with much more in it. So, I headed to the check-out lines. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a long line and began unloading my stuff.

This is where the fun begins. I had picked up a few things for church, so I was paying for those things separately. When the lady checking me out saw that I had those few things separate, she asked why. So, I just told her that it was for church, and I had to keep it separate so I could be reimbursed. She proceeds to say, "I don't mean to be rude, but aren't you supposed to give to church?" Wow. I decided to be polite, although there were many snappy things going through my head. So, I just said something about that being a good question and brushed it off.

Bad start to my experience with this check-out lady. So, she notices I am pregnant and asks me if it is a boy or girl. So, I tell her it's a girl, and she says, "oh, it will look like you." {How would she know anyway?!?} I say, "Yeah, my husband always says he hopes so too." She says, "HUSBAND?!?!?!?!?" in her most flabbergasted voice. Trying not to be offended, I say yes. She says you look too young to have a husband. Thanks, but by now, I am getting a little exhausted by her comments. She continues for a few minutes about how horrible the last month of pregnancy is. Again, thanks.

As if that isn't bad enough, she takes a look at all the stuff I am getting and says, "I can tell you are pregnant." Okay. Now she's done it. I mean, seriously?!? Who says that? So, again, I try to maintain my composure {what little is left of it} and say something about it actually not being just for me...

Finally, I am free. Or at least that is what I think. I go outside to pouring down rain. Great. I have an umbrella, but what good does that do you when you are trying to unload an entire cart full of groceries. I toss the umbrella into the trunk and start furiously throwing bags into the trunk, trying desperately not to crush the bread or eggs with the milk. The 40-something year old cart guy comes up, and I think, "oh, he's going to be a gentleman and help me, the 9 month pregnant lady, with my cartload of groceries." Nope. He just stands there waiting for my cart, but apparently I am taking too long. So, he just goes in! That's right, he leaves me there to get soaking wet because I was taking too long!

I finally finished, got into the car looking like a drowned rat, and couldn't help but laugh. Oh Wal-Mart, what would I do without you? I guess you get what you pay for :)

2 comments:

lindsey said...

awwwww!! poor thing :( i haven't been to wal-mart in quite a while... and i don't plan on doing so any time soon ;) love!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I hate the things that happen when you are pregnant just trying to be nice. People are sooooooo rude!!! Girl you were a LOT nicer than I would've been!! LOL

You look amazing and just prettier than ever!! You are going to be such a wonderful mommy! I can not wait...about 15 days from now there will be God's gift to you and Chris and the world!!

Take care! Best wishes during labor....you will do GREAT!! Praying for you always!! :o)

Crystal (Moore) Johnson