Friday, June 12, 2009

Rabbit Ears of the 21st Century

At some point when Chris and I were living in Bryan, we realized that we had fallen victims to "our" shows. During one short period of time a few of years ago, I counted them up and realized that we pretty consistenly watched something like 10 shows on TV throughout the week. Now, we certainly did not lock ourselves in our house in the evenings as not to miss a show because we, like most people, had DVR capabilities. So, we could determine at what time we sat down to watch these recorded treasures. By the time we got to Bryan and started our jobs, we no longer had time for all of these shows, so we narrowed them down to the most important ones, which still was probably far too much. About a year ago, we had this realization that we did not want to be so tied to the TV, and if we are all honest, what is on TV is not always wholesome. So, we made the decision to cut the ties with our beloved DVR and go down to the basic cable package which meant we got about 12 channels. This was not easy for either of us at first...Chris missed his SportsCenter in the mornings, and I missed my Food Network time in the afternoons after school. We often forgot what time "our" shows were on and missed some important episodes. But, what we soon came to realize was that we could actually survive this. Not only that but it became liberating to not worry about the TV or any shows that might be missed. We were able to spend our time doing things that were more valuable for us.
Fast forward to Rowlett a few weeks ago... Chris and I were discussing cable/internet etc. I always assumed we would get the same basic cable here as we had in Bryan. Well, Chris had something else in mind. My husband loves to try new, out of the box things, so I figured I would at least listen. We have known a few people that have used an antenna to acquire the basic channels (4-5 of them) by placing a large antenna in their attic or on their roof. Chris thought we should try an antenna but wanted to find one that was as small and inconspicuous as possible so we bought this antenna off of Amazon. Here's the beauty:

Can't find it? Look closer...

Let me just tell you that this thing is great! We get about 15 channels, including ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX, in HD and all for the one time fee of $37! It doesn't get much better than that. So, I will now enjoy watching TV, courtesy of this little guy, and with the freedom of no cable bill. Ahhh... wonderful!
Be blessed today!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Ohhh my goodness! Yay that I just found your blog and caught up on every entry, haha! You're such a glowing precious preggy, Stacey!! Miss you a ton...maybe when I come to the Dallas area, I can come to y'alls church!! Keep 'em coming, girl. Love!!

Mom & Mimi said...

That son-in-law of ours is soooooo
smart! I love the way it just blends right in!! The kitchen looks great Stace! love that green. : )
gnight..lv you