Friday, March 2, 2012

Half of a Year

 Beckett Lucas Field,

You are 6 months old...already half of a year old.  You are growing and changing so quickly, and sometimes I feel like I cannot keep up.  Because I've been here before, I want to soak up every single moment of your sweet six month old self.  I want to memorize every detail about you, what you look like, how you are right at this exact moment. I love staring at your sweet hands while you eat and your precious face as you fall asleep in my arms.  Something about the six month mark makes me much more reflective and makes me want to really live in and embrace my time with you while you are still a baby.  I am constantly in awe of you and your sweetness, and I adore being your momma.
At six months, you are much more aware of everything that is going on around you.  It's amazing how, in such a short span of time, you become interested in your surroundings, and you want to be part of everything.  You don't want to miss a beat, which can make nursing interesting sometimes.  Your favorite people to watch are your sister and your daddy.  If either one of them is in the room, your eyes on are them.  I can tell by your eyes and little movements that you want them to notice you so badly! Whenever they lock eyes with you, you will bust out in a huge grin.  Love, love, love.  You also can grab onto anything you want, and you reach out those little hands with purpose.  You are really loving toys these days too.  Your favorite is probably Sophie, the teething giraffe.   I am so thankful that you are healthy and learning all about your world every day.
You had your very first taste of solid food this month!  Just a couple days before you turned six months old, we gave you your first bite of rice cereal, and you ate it up.  You are such a pleasant little soul, even with food.  You also tried some avocado, and even though you kept opening your sweet little mouth like you wanted more, you gagged with every bite.  So, we moved on to sweet potatoes, and you loved those.  You are still nursing 5 times each day, and although you eat well, you are beginning to be much more distracted.  So, I have to be more strategic about when and where you eat.
You sat up unsupported for the first time this month, but you are still pretty wobbly.  Sometimes you can stay upright for several minutes and other times only for a few seconds.  It is pretty crazy to see you sitting up all by yourself.  You are getting so much closer to crawling, and I can't help but to cheer you on.  You roll around like a pro, but you are beginning to get a little frustrated that you can't move as easily as you would like to.  I am certain that crawling is just around the corner.
You made your first trip on an airplane and your first trip out of state this month.  We went to Littleton, Colorado for Clint and Hailey's wedding, and you traveled like an angel baby.  You slept through most of the flights and were really pleasant otherwise.  While we were in Colorado, you got to see your first snowfall.  For being born in the hottest summer on record, you saw quite the snow...26 inches!  You weren't phased by the cold or the cold, wet snow falling on your little face, and your pink cheeked, red nosed little face was just the cutest thing ever.
One week before you turned six months old, we decided to sleep train you.  We were both more than ready, and you handled it like a champ.  The first night, you cried for 25 minutes, but since then, you hardly make a peep while you fall asleep.  Mostly, you sleep all night without fussing at all.  It's been so wonderful.  You go to bed around 7:00pm and are up for the day around 6:30-7:00am.  You are so sweet and happy when you wake up.  I wish I could say that naps were going as well, but my sweet boy, you are a pretty awful napper.  You nap mostly 3 times each day.  If you nap in your crib, they usually last between 30-45 minutes.  I know it will get better!
You are still the most smiley, happy little boy.  You grin when we look at you, and it melts my heart.  You also have this amazing belly laugh that you give your daddy and sister sometimes, and I am so in love with it.  It is the sweetest sound ever.  You also make this hilarious pterodactyl noise sometimes, and I think you like it a lot because you really get going with it.  You are becoming more vocal, not just when you are happy either.  You have realized that you can also let us know when you are frustrated or want more attention, and I love seeing your little personality come out, even in little whines.
I could go on and on about all the new discoveries you are making and how sweet you are.  I cannot imagine loving you anymore than I already do, but every day I think I love you more.  I am so thankful that you are my son, and I pray daily for wisdom about raising you to be a Godly man.  You are blessed to have a wonderful daddy as an example to you.  The Lord created one you, Beckett, and I love watching the ways that you are uniquely you.  I know the next six months of your little life will fly by, and my prayer is that we will have many moments filled with joy and love in those times.  You are my ray of sunshine, baby boy.  Happy half birthday, little love.

I love you, to the moon and back!
Your Momma

No comments: