Sunday, January 9, 2011

week 2

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord.
"They are plans for good and not for disaster,
to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11

This is the scripture I will be praying and meditating on this week. As I reflect on this verse, I will be praying specifically for my little family that we would remember that the Lord always has plans for us, good plans, even when they don't look exactly like ours.  I will be praying that we will submit to the Lord as we look to the future and believe and trust in the hope he promises to us.

But, I really want to focus my prayers and meditation this week on the children on Lake Volta in Ghana.  This verse is often taken out of context, so let me briefly put on my preacher hat and explain it a little to give some insight into why I believe the Lord put this scripture on my heart.  When Jeremiah delivers this word from the Lord, His people were in exile.  They had been in exile a long time and were desparately seeking deliverance.  God had not answered their prayer the way they wanted, and in the same breath that He sends them these words from Jeremiah, He tells them that they will not be delivered any time soon.  What the Lord is promising them in this scripture is that even in the midst of suffering that He DOES have plans, hopeful type plans, for them, and that this season of despair does not mean the Lord has forgotten them.

In light of that, I will be praying this scripture desparately over the children in slavery in Ghana this week.  I will be praying that God would reveal their future soon and that His plans for them would be seen by every single one of them.  I will be praying that His hope would come to them even sooner than their rescue so that they would have the strength to hold on.  And, I will be praying that we, Mercy Project, will live into our part of His plans for these children.

For those of you joining in with me, what scripture will you be praying this week?  I hope the Lord reveals great things about Himself to you through your dedication to prayer and His word this week!  Blessings!  

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Good morning! My verse for the week is Psalm 145:13-14...

The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises
and faithful in all he does.
The Lord upholds all who fall
and lifts up all who are bowed down.

I, too, am praying over those sweet Ghana kids this week, as well as praying for some family members who desperately need to be lifted up by the Lord.

Thanks again for doing this. Blessings on a QUICK week!