Thursday, January 6, 2011

this is my daily bread

I love the idea of a new year.  It brings with it a fresh start.  A time to let go of things that were bogging you down.  A time to create new, healthy, beneficial habits.  I am not big on New Year's resolutions, and I think the reason why is that I never keep them.  I am pretty good at remembering them for maybe a month, and then...not so much.  However, there are always things on which I want to improve each year, and I am positive that spending time in prayer and in God's Word would be on my list every.single.year. 

That really makes me sad.  I do not crave scripture like I wish I did.  There have been times in my life where I have truly yearned and thirsted for the Word and time to sit in prayer.  Unfortunately, that is not where I am right now.  The thought of finding 30 minutes of uninterrupted time every day is slightly overwhelming.  In the midst of being a wife, a momma, Mercy Project stuff, keeping up with the house, church, and my new job {more on that later!!!}, I feel like I need something more "simple." 

One of the blogs I read posted this the other day, and I immediately felt like it was something I could, needed, and wanted to do!  Each week, I will choose a scripture{s} to meditate on and pray over my family, our work in Ghana, our friends, etc.  All week long, I will stop and reflect on that particular scripture in small moments during the day.  I love the idea of having a scripture on my heart and mind ALL WEEK.  And, it doesn't require a lengthy amount of "sit down" time.  The original poster included all the scriptures she intends to use throughout the year.  I may use some of hers, but I also want to open my heart to what the Lord has for me to find each week.  I hope you will consider joining me and others on this journey of praying God's Word...one week at a time.  I plan to share my scripture focus for each week on my blog every Sunday, so you are more than welcome to use mine.  I am excited!!!

This week, the verse I have been praying and meditating on is Psalm 143:8.
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in You.
Show me the way I should go,
For to You I entrust my life. 

I love the idea of waking each morning being reminded of God's LOVE for me, my family, the world.  This has been a great reminder for me this week of renewing my focus this year on the Lord and His ways, not my own.  I look forward to a year of filling up on the everlasting daily bread.

2 comments:

Mom & Mimi said...

Stacey,
This is the "medicine" I needed today and of course everyday. I'll look forward to your weekly scriptures.

I love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you Stacy this is wonderful!! I look forward to these weekly!

MJ