Sunday, January 30, 2011

praying God's word...a little catching up

I have not done well at keeping up with documenting my journey of praying through God's word.  However, I have definitely been blessed by doing it.  I want to share just a bit of what the Lord has taught me in the past couple of weeks.

week 3: He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you.  My power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9
This week was very personal for me.  One thing that has really been on my heart lately is my struggle with perfectionism.  This has been something that I have dealt with my whole life.  Growing up, I saw it as a positive thing {which it can be} particularly with regard to academics.  I pushed myself to do my best because I actually wanted to, and it provided scholarships, job opportunities, etc. that wouldn't have happened without that.  However, I think I never realized how much my perfectionist tendencies had crept into pretty much every facet of my life.  I am not comfortable with any of my imperfections.  Let me be clear that I have no expectation of others being perfect, but this is simply a burden I place on myself.  I want everything I do, housekeeping, mothering, teaching, hosting, etc. to be PERFECT.  And, I feel inadequate when it's not.  So much so that I won't even attempt something if I know I will mess up.  And, that is messed up.  God has been bringing this reality to the forefront of my heart and mind a lot recently, and this verse was a good, and harsh, reminder that I don't have to be perfect.  God's grace covers my imperfections.  And, my weaknesses give him an opportunity to display His power.  So, I am trying to let go of my perfectionist ways, and the Lord is slowly working on my heart in that way.

week 4: Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.  He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.  James 1:19
This past week was a challenge in being thankful.  It's easy to come to God when things are tough.  It's easy to come to God when amazingly wonderful things happened or prayers are answered exactly to our liking.  But, I find that it's difficult to remember the good things, day in and day out, with which the Lord has blessed me.  And, it reminded me that even on days when it seems like not much is going right that simply the knowledge that God will NEVER change is more than good enough to praise Him.  I still need this reminder, and this verse may pop back up in later weeks :)

Finally, for this week's verse:
Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalm 103:2-5

Chris's mom, Holly, is having her 4th neck/back surgery tomorrow.  We will be spending the day in Temple praying and being with family during the surgery and visiting Holly after.  So, healing has really been on my heart, and I will be spending a lot of time praying this verse tomorrow and this week as I think about Holly and ask for protection over her surgery and recovery {would love you to join me in that too}.  I have 2 favorite things about these verses: first, the confidence the psalmist has that God HEALS, not might heal, but will heal.  No doubt.  Utter confidence and belief in God's ability to heal.  Also, I love the part about your youth being renewed.  I will be praying that over Holly all week, and I am so hopeful that this will be part of her life soon!  Be blessed in your prayer time this week! 

No comments: