Tuesday, June 29, 2010

sweet slumber

After 6 1/2 months of enduring interrupted sleep, we decided to make a change.  When Micah was about 2 months old, she was SOOOO close to sleeping through the night.  She would eat around 8:30pm or 9:00pm and then sleep until about 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning.  It was bliss, and I was so proud of my girl.  But then, something snapped, and around her 3 month birthday, she started waking up twice every night.  I thought maybe it was because of daylight savings time, but it never got better.  So, we have been getting up twice each night to feed and rock her back to sleep.  As much as I loved those sweet, quiet times with my baby girl, it was wearing me out!!!  Not to mention the fact that our pediatrician told us at her 6 month appointment that she could definitely go 12 hours without needing to eat.  What?!?!   Chris and I had already been contemplating sleep training, and after discussing it some with Dr. S, we decided that we needed to go ahead and get started on that.
 

I had purchased a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth, {which I would HIGHLY recommend!} and we chose to go with the sleep training method he describes as most effective in his book.  This method is called "extinction" and seems pretty harsh.  Basically, you put your baby down for the night, and you don't go back in AT.ALL.  No exceptions, other than sickness.  People told lots of success stories in his book, and Chris and I just felt like that, given Micah's personality, it would be best for us not to be in and out of her room.   I was honestly pretty nervous about starting because I never thought I would be a mom who would let her child just cry, but I truly believed that it would be best for Micah and for us. 

 

So, last Sunday night {Father's Day}, we started.  We put her down at 7:50pm, awake, left the room, turned on our video monitor, and waited.  For 10 minutes, she just talked to herself in her crib, and then the crying began.  We were certain that we were doomed.  The crying lasted for all of 12 minutes, and then she was out.   Completely asleep.  I could not believe it!  I kept checking the monitor to be sure that she wasn't moving around, but it confirmed that she had put herself to sleep.  Still too good to be true, I figured the night would be awful.  She woke up at her usual times, but she cried for less than 10 minutes each time and went back to sleep.  WHAT IN THE WORLD???  Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights, she only woke up once in the night and would cry for less than 5 minutes each time while adjusting and trying to get comfortable to go back to sleep.  I was still waiting for the cookie to crumble.  On Friday night, it happened.  Not the crumbling of the cookie, but she slept ALL.NIGHT.LONG.  12 hours.  No waking.  No crying.  Just peaceful sleep.  Then, she did it again on Saturday night and Sunday night.  She's amazing.

 

Seriously, this sleep training thing turned out better than I could have ever dreamed.  Not only has it been great for me {I had totally forgotten what it felt like not to get up multiple times each night} but it has been wonderful for Micah.  Her naps have improved, and her personality has become even more pleasant.  She just wasn't getting the sleep she needed.  I am so thankful that Chris and I listened to our instincts on what was best for Micah and didn't let our desire to not hear her cry win out.  This was what she needed!!! I am also grateful that God is so faithful in providing us with the wisdom we need to be the best parents for Micah. Honestly, we wouldn't be successful without His guidance and provision. God is good!  And, this is how she feels about all of it :)

 

Take it from me, it works!  We are ALL happier because we are more rested.  And, Micah is a rock star!

No comments: