Monday, August 24, 2009

first day of school

For the first time in many years, I am not at school today. It is really a bittersweet feeling for me. At the end of May, I would have told you there was no way I would be sad, even a little bit, about not going back to teaching this fall, but I was wrong. I have missed buying all the supplies, getting my classroom ready, getting a list of students' names, and feeling the excitement and butterflies the days leading up to the first day of school. Not only that but I will miss seeing my former students and my coworkers. Seriously, I had the best coworkers ever, and my students weren't too bad themselves :) However, as much as I am missing being there today, every time I remember that I get to be home with our little lovey, it makes the nostalgia go away pretty quickly. As much as I miss seeing the excited faces and getting to know the new students and all the excitement/challenges that come with being a teacher, I am so ready for my new job as a Momma. I truly think it will be the best job I will ever have!

So, for all you teachers out there, I am thinking of you today. You have such an important job, and you are an incredible blessing in the lives of so many students and families. I am praying for your patience, peace, compassion, and wisdom as you learn to love a new classroom of students. In the words of my husband, "let the kingdom of God break out in new places around you this year!" I am touched by your dedication and willingness to do a truly tough job. You are appreciated, and I hope the start to your year is wonderful! Many, many blessings!

No comments: