Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Warning: LONG post ahead

It's been a whole week since I blogged, and a lot has happened during that time. It is almost hard for me to remember everything and to figure out how to put it all in words. But, I will do my very best. Consider yourself warned concerning the length of and amount of pictures in this post and proceed at your own risk :)

The highlight of my little world since I last blogged is that on Saturday my husband returned from his 8 day trip to Ghana, Africa. Yes, he was gone for 8 whole days, and I only got to hear his voice twice the whole time! But, don't worry, he should win the "husband of the year" award, if there is such a thing, because he got me a card for each day he was gone, and without my knowledge, arranged for them to all be given to me by different people each day. Some even came with gifts. I know, I know...he's the best ever! I was also well taken care of and kept company by my sweet Momma. She spent the WHOLE week with me, as I am sure you noticed in previous posts, and we worked, worked, worked... and had a little fun too :) However, as much fun as I had with my Momma, I cannot even explain how ready I was for Chris to be home. Sometimes I think I love him too much.

So, what was he doing in Ghana? Good question :) I explained a little of that in a previous post, but I will give a brief explanation of exactly what went on while he was there. He left on Friday, August 7 and spent that whole day {and night} traveling. On Saturday and Sunday, he stayed at an orphanage there in the capital of Ghana called Village of Hope. He loved his time at the orphanage and enjoyed playing soccer with the kids and participating in their "devotions" at night. You should hear them sing...he got a short video clip of the kids singing, and it is the most precious thing ever! He got to attend church with the kids and staff from the orphanage on Sunday and was even asked to preach at the service on Sunday night! Talk about an experience. As I'm sure that any of you who know him can imagine, Chris was in his element at the orphanage, and he loved the opportunity to just love on those kids.  Here are some pictures of kids from the Village of Hope.



The next part of the week was spent at Lake Volta in eastern Ghana. He and 2 other men from St. Louis spent 10 hours of the day Monday traveling to Kete Krachi, a town on the lake, and got to meet some kids at the orphanage there, Village of Life. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent on the lake meeting some of the boys that are in slavery out there. His stories and pictures really are heartbreaking, and it's truly unbelievable that these boys, some as young as 5 or 6 years old, work 14 hours a day EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. The most exciting thing about his time on the lake is that Chris got to participate in rescuing 3 boys from their lives of slavery on Wednesday. Praise God! He got to hold their hands, give them new clothes, and watch their new lives begin. Lives full of opportunity and love that they would have never been given had someone not decided to step up and make a difference. He spent the day Thursday, 13 hours, traveling back to the capital city of Ghana, Accra, and then flew out for home on Friday.  

Fisherboys on the lake...I'm sure you can see the contrast between their faces and those of the kids at the orphanages.




Here are the 3 boys that were rescued.


And, my favorite picture of them all...totally captures Chris's heart!

I am beyond proud of him, and I just love his selfless heart. I have a lot to learn from him, and I am just thankful that I get a front row seat for the rest of my life. The really exciting thing is that Chris and I feel called to really get involved with this mission of rescuing kids in Ghana and look forward to taking a group back in the summer of 2010. So, be thinking if you want to join us!  Stay tuned for some other ways you can help these precious kids between now and then.

Mom and I had a great time and got a lot done in baby girl's nursery. Chris and I are really excited about how it is coming all together, and once it is at least a little closer to being done, I will post some pictures.  They will be worth the wait :)  

Finally, I had a baby appointment on Monday with Dr. G. Everytime we go to the doctor I feel very good about our choice to go with Dr. G. I just really like her, and she always tells me how great baby girl and I are doing, which never gets old to hear! I did my glucose test where I had to drink the orange, sugary drink, wait an hour, and have my blood drawn. It really wasn't so bad, just got really sweet by the end. We are waiting on the results, but I am not worried. We got to hear our baby girl's heartbeat, and I promise that the little swishing never gets old. It is just precious. I have made it to 24 weeks and only have 3 weeks left in this second trimester. It's been so wonderful, and I am thankful for each moment of it that I have felt good and healthy. We know that December is going to be here before we know it, so we are just enjoying each day and phase of this pregnancy.


Whew... ok, I am done. Congrats if you made it all the way through. I am impressed! I promise not to let it get that out of hand, at least for a while! Blessings to you all.

1 comment:

Mom & Mimi said...

i SO enjoyed getting to read this before going to bed. you made me smile. lv u momma