Saturday, August 27, 2011

the story of beckett lucas field

I will try not to make this too long, but I am writing it for my records and memories.
I promise to include pictures for those of you that are only interested in that kind of thing :)

At my 38 week appointment with Dr. S, I had still not made any progress.  I was honestly not disappointed, but I was just slightly nervous that if Beckett was as big as his sister and we didn't have him early that it might result in a c-section.  So, we talked with Dr. S and decided to have an ultrasound the following Monday (8/15) before my appointment so we could check on the size of the baby.  He also went ahead and scheduled an induction at the hospital for August 16 just in case so they would have room for us.  Chris and I had so many things on our minds.  We didn't want to force this sweet boy out if it wasn't time, but we also didn't want me to have a long 6 week recovery ahead of me if we could help it.  We spent a lot of the next 5 days just praying and praying that the Lord would grant us wisdom and clear direction about what to do.

Monday rolled around, and I spent the morning with my Micah girl just playing and doing things she loves to do.  We went to the park.  We got a cookie from McDonalds.  We played in her little swimming pool in the backyard.  I wanted to take advantage of this day in case it was her last as an only child.  We headed to the appointment that afternoon, and it was confirmed in the ultrasound that our baby would be about 8 pounds at that point.  So, Chris and I decided that regardless of the progress, we wanted to move forward with induction the next day.  Much to our excitement, my body had already begun to make some progress on its own.  Dr. S was excited and told us to be at the hospital the next morning at 5:30am!!!  It was somewhat surreal leaving the office knowing that we would have a new addition to our family the next day.

That night we went to Freebirds for dinner as a family of 3 and to Spoons {a frozen yogurt favorite of all  3 of ours!}.  We spent time soaking up our girl but so excited for her to enter the world of having siblings.  After we rocked her and prayed over her, the frenzied last minute prep began, and we were in bed by 10:00.  I don't know how much I slept that night, but I don't think it was much!  I was up at 4:30am, getting ready to meet my little man.  Here is our last picture together before his big entrance to the world.

We got all settled in at the hospital, and Dr. S came by around 6:45am to break my water.  I was at a 2 at this point, which was some progress from even the day before.  
They started the pitocin about an hour later at 7:45am or so.  The contractions got stronger, but there was plenty of time between them that I felt like I could hang on a little longer before getting the epidural.
Micah got up to the hospital around 8:45am or so along with most of our family.  I loved seeing her!  She was a little unsure of all the machines at first, but she warmed up quickly.

The nurse {Heather} came in to check me and said that Beckett was face up, and we needed him to be face down.  So, they turned me on my side to try to get him to turn.  Those contractions that were fine before started to get pretty painful when I was on my side, so I went ahead and called for my epidural since I was at a 6.  I definitely didn't want to miss my opportunity!!!
Once again, I got the most amazing epidural, and everything went perfectly numb at about 10:00am.
I had to keep switching sides to get this boy to roll.  During this time, Chris and I listened to some worship music and just rested together.  I think that was probably my favorite time of my whole labor experience.  I loved just being with Chris in the quiet and silently praising our Creator for life.
I was dozing in and out, at my other nurse's {Amanda's} suggestion, when she came in at 11:30am to check me and said try to push.  I gave a little push, and she said let's have a baby!
Whoa!  That was super fast.  So, Chris ran down to the waiting room to get my mom.  Dr. S came in, they wheeled the table out, and I began pushing at 11:35am.
Beckett Lucas arrived at 11:40am.


He was absolutely perfect.
I could not believe how much he looked like Micah when they first showed me his sweet little face.
His labor and delivery was such a blessing, and I know that the Lord showed us complete favor in how smooth the whole process was.  5 hours of labor with only 5 minutes of pushing, while feeling absolutely NOTHING, was seriously a dream come true.  I am still thanking God for His grace and for the health of my sweet baby boy.  Childbirth is truly a miracle.

After he was born and all cleaned up, Chris and I prayed our first prayer over our Beckett Lucas and cried tears of joy and thankfulness.  Then, Chris went to share the news of his arrival with all of our family in the waiting room and reveal his name.


Big sister Micah was the first to meet her baby brother.  What a sweet moment that was!  I am so blessed with such amazing kids and an awesome husband.

 We had lots of visitors throughout our stay at the hospital.  I am so thankful for all the friends and family that came to love on our newest addition.
my three favorites
  LeeLee
 Mimi and Pappy
  Pops and Grandmommy {MomMom}
 Granny and Jojo
 Angela
 Pops and Cade
 Cameron and Jen
We are loving our precious little guy so much!

I am still in awe of the Lord's goodness and faithfulness to us on that day.  I couldn't be more overwhelmed with love when I see our little family of four.
My cup runneth over.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon you.  He has anointed you to bring good news to the poor, release for the oppressed, sight for the blind, freedom for the captives, and to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
Luke 4:18-19

No comments: