Friday, November 12, 2010

Orphan Sunday

I am a little late in posting about this, but it has been on my mind and heart to write about all week. 

"Father to the fatherless, defender of widows--
this is God, whose dwelling is holy.
God places the lonely in families.
He sets the prisoners free and gives them joy."
Psalm 68:5-6

This past Sunday was Orphan Sunday for many churches around the world.  Chris and I were able to visit a church that was participating in this event, and I was blessed.  In the past couple of years, orphans have begun to be particularly close to my heart.  It all began when Chris and I were struggling to get pregnant, and we were exploring the real possibility of adoption and LOVING the idea.  Then, Chris went to Ghana 15 months ago, and our world was completely rocked by those sweet, sweet children working on Lake Volta.  Not all of them are orphans, but they are lonely and at least temporarily fatherless.  So, when I knew that Sunday was Orphan Sunday, I was beyond excited. 

And, my expectations were blown away by the Lord.  Funny how he always seems to do that.  He spoke powerfully through the pastor, and I found myself humbled by the task which the Lord has set before us.  If the nature of the Lord is to care for orphans and I am made in his image and to be like him, then it must also be in my nature to care for orphans as well.  One thing that truly convicted me was when the pastor boldly reminded us that there is no one in line in front of us to make sure these children are cared for.  WE are the line.  WE are responsible.  We cannot wait for someone else to do it for us.  God is waiting for us to step up and be his hands and feet in this world.  My mind immediately flew to these sweet faces.
I am so thankful that the Lord worked on our hearts in a way that we are answering part of the call to rescue some of the 147 million orphans in the world.  My prayer is that we are able to restore many of their relationships with their families.  And, for the ones we cannot reintegrate with their families, my prayer is that some of the Jesus followers in this world will be the families in which God will place these lonely children.

However, I am not sure if our work with Mercy Project in Ghana is the only way that God is calling our family to care for the orphans in our world.  I am confident that Mercy Project is a HUGE part of God's calling in our lives, but I have a feeling that there might be something more that he wants from our little family, not from our organization.  We don't know what that looks like.  We know we want to adopt, but we don't know when or how many children.  We don't know what that means for how many more biological children we will have.  All I know is that I am ready to pray a dangerous prayer.  Honestly, it scares me a little bit or maybe a whole lot.  But, I am praying that God will make his plans for us known and use us for his glory and his kingdom.  I am praying for an open heart and mind to whatever that plan is.  I am praying for boldness in caring for these children of his.  And, I really, really can't wait to see how he answers it and blesses us in unimaginable ways.

In the words of Isaiah the prophet, "Here am I.  Send me."

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Love this. God has great things in store for you guys, whatever it may be!