Thursday, September 20, 2012

Abide

Abide
to remain stable or fixed in a state
stay, dwell, hang around, remain
This word, abide, has been sitting on my heart lately.  I am certain that the Lord brought it to me as a word from Him in this busy season of life.  We have a lot going on, constantly.  I keep thinking there will be a break, and as far as my calendar is telling me, there is none coming.
The Spirit is beckoning me to abide in the Lord.  To dwell in Him who is the giver and sustainer of life.  To hang around with Him and allow my spirit to rest in Him, even when the world around me is totally crazy.
"Abide in me, as I also remain in you.  No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  I am the vine. You are the branches. If you abide in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit.  Apart from me, you can do nothing."  John 15:4-5
If I believe this to be true, then where else can I go but to the Lord?
What Jesus says here is simple--I am nothing if I am not abiding in the Lord.
So, the Lord has gently reminded me that if I will abide in Him that He will satisfy me because He is the vine, the provider of all good things.
So, in my fear, my insecurities, the chaos of life, I am seeking to abide in the Lord.
I want to bear fruit.
In all the crazy moments, that is my prayer.  
The Lord has been so sweet to give me exactly what He promised when I stop to abide in Him.
I feel peace, comfort, calm, and the fact that I am not alone.  Far from it.

Because I am nothing apart from Him.

No comments: