Sunday, August 19, 2012

One Year

Beckett Lucas,

You are one.  This first year of your life flew by so quickly, and it seems unreal that your birthday has already come and gone.  I know this is cliche, but I really feel like it is true.  On one hand, I remember the day of your birth so vividly that it seems impossible that a year has passed since then, and on the other hand, I feel like I have known you forever.  As I rocked you one night last week, I was thinking how it feels a little sad that you are already one, but then, I realized that I cannot imagine that I didn't know what your face looked like, that you would have the most precious dimples, or that you would be such a chill and happy baby just over a year ago.  I am so thankful to know you and to have you in our family.  You are a gift.

You have changed me in incredible ways.  Your life has made my life better, and not just because you have increased my heart's capacity for love but because you have increased my capacity to live life fully.  We have spent many hours together, feeding, rocking, playing, snuggling, and in many of those moments, especially the ones spent in the glider in your room, I have felt the presence of the Lord so clearly.  He has shown me how to be more intentional, and He has shed light on things that need to change to make that happen.  He has urged me to pray more intently and boldly for you and your sister and to believe that those prayers will be answered.  He has opened my heart to more of His character because of you, my son.  In so many ways, I am not the same person I was on August 16, 2011.  I am so thankful for the ways you have already blessed me with your life.

Your sweetness is so endearing, and I just want to soak it up every single second.  I love that you immediately smile when we walk into a room, and I love the way we know how to get those smiles even when you aren't so happy.  I love your precious giggles that we hear so often.  You love life, and that is so evident in the way that you will laugh so easily.  I love that about you.  It never gets old to hear you and your sister laugh at something silly she did in the back seat of the car.  You love to crawl over to daddy's office door, stand up, bang on the glass, and just laugh and laugh.  Your contentment is life giving for me.

Being your mommy is one of the biggest blessings of my life, and I am grateful to watch you and be with you every single day.  I thank God each day that He gave you to me and your daddy because you really are a treasure and a gift.  You are discovering new things about your world every day, and it is so fun to watch.  You are babbling more and more and learning so much.  You are in love with your daddy and your sister, and you daily make my heart melt.  Those dimples never cease to get me every single time.  Kissing and hugging you will never get old.  You bring us endless amounts of joy, and I am so excited to continue watching you grow.

Beckett, "the spirit of the Lord is upon you.  You have been anointed to bring good news to the poor, release for the captives, sight for the blind, and freedom for the oppressed.  May you be a man who brings God's favor here and now." You are gifted, my son, and the Lord has great plans for you.  My earnest prayer for you is that you will be bold and strong, respectful and kind, compassionate and loving in the Lord.  What an amazing first year it has been with you, little man.  You have grown and changed and become this amazing and precious little soul, and we have grown and changed right along with you.  I could not be more proud to be your mommy.  Happy First Birthday, Beckett!

I love you, to the moon and back!
Your Mommy

1 comment:

lindsey said...

This sweet little man has certainly changed my life. His infectious joy and loving nature make every moment spent with him so precious. My memories of rocking him to sleep several times throughout his first year of life are some of the sweetest, most cherished memories that I have. I am so blessed to be his LeeLee. Thank you for giving me that gift. :) Love you!!! xoxo