Thursday, August 2, 2012

Living Simply in August

About a month ago, I finished reading a book that challenged me, made me laugh, made me cry, and left me unable to put the completed book on a shelf and continue on with life as normal.
I read Seven by Jen Hatmaker.  There were moments I absolutely loved her and moments that I wished we had never "met" through this book because I knew that her words, inspired by the Jesus living in her, were changing me in ways that would make me uncomfortable.
Seven is a book about Hatmaker's experiment to cut out excess in different areas of her life.  She is hilarious and charming, and if you haven't read it, do it. Now.

So, Chris read this book after I reluctantly told him that he needed to.  I knew that once he read it there would be no turning back on my conviction that maybe we needed to do some things differently.  That is probably why I told him to read it.  I wouldn't be strong enough to do it alone!
He read it, we discussed it, and we decided that we wanted to do a little experiment in our own home.

For the month of August, we are committed to spending money only on necessities--food {grocery store only}, bills, gas, essential toiletries {i.e. toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc.}, anything medical, and tithing.
That means that we will not spend any money in restaurants, on entertainment, on clothing, or anything "extra."  This includes make-up, Redbox movies, Dr. Peppers at McDonalds, and candles.
I am both excited and terrified.  We are on day two, and I have already had a moment where I thought about going to buy something that I realize is "illegal."
I am excited for the challenge and for the ways I am certain it will make me a more grateful person.  I am also excited for the money we will save that will make adoption a closer {and financially easier} reality.
I am terrified about the things that will be revealed about me and the ways I spend my money, which might uncover some things about my heart that I don't want to confront.
But, I believe that standing up and facing those parts of me that are selfish and greedy will only draw me closer to the Lord and help me to continue the daily process of dying to myself.
So, here we go.  Living simply in August. 

No comments: