Wednesday, July 6, 2011

praying God's word...freedom

I have a feeling I am just going to be on and off of this wagon for a while because I have a few things happening in my world, and blogging {in general and about this} has definitely taken a backseat. For those of you that decided to join me on this journey of praying God's word, I hope it has been a good six months of meditation and prayer. If you wonder what it is or want to join us, you can click on the praying God's word button to learn more, and it's not too late to begin!

With the fourth of July holiday we just had, the word freedom has been on my mind a lot. I am not the most patriotic person {I know, shame}, so I don't get all into big celebrations of our nation. But, this year I had a lot of different thoughts. You see, Chris and 10 others spent this holiday in Ghana plowing land, planting cassava, and loving on kids. So I kept thinking about them and those precious children that are in slavery, and my heart began to yearn for them to experience freedom. I did nothing to deserve the freedom I have. I was simply born in a place that values freedom, and I am thankful. But I don't want to stop there. I want to work until children on a lake an ocean away understand the freedom that my children will experience. I am praying for that day to come quickly!

So these thoughts turned into thoughts about freedom in Christ which is so much greater than freedom in the USA. It is abundant life kind of freedom. As I was playing with Micah, I looked at this amazing piece of art that is hanging on the wall...


In the midst of all the different things going on in this piece is written the verse from John 10:10 that says, "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." I immediately knew that this would be my verse for the week...for the kids in Ghana, for myself, for my husband, and for my children. May His kingdom come...

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

What a different and meaningful July 4 it was! Thought about you a lot while in Ghana and am excited for you to get to go back in the future. Painting looks great! :)