Sunday, June 12, 2011

amazing

Update: Gretchen graciously allowed me to use her pictures from the evening, so I added them into the post.  Enjoy!

On Thursday night, Mercy Project hosted its very first Benefit Dinner and Art Auction in downtown Bryan. I don't have a single picture (maybe someone else took some that I can steal??), but what I do have is a completely full heart from what happened that night. I don't write much about our work with Mercy Project, although I probably should since it is a pretty huge part of our lives, but God totally showed up on Thursday night. He was there, and He blessed--in huge and completely affirming ways.




Because this was our first upscale event, we had no idea what to expect. In all honesty, we were anxious that it might be a flop. You just never know. But, I think Jesus was saying, "you of little faith!" I told Chris the day before the event that at some point we need to learn to trust Him a little more because every single Mercy Project event we've done has far exceeded our expectations. God just keeps blowing us out of the water with this, and Thursday was no exception. 140 people showed up. 7,000 slave children had their stories told. 8 paintings were auctioned off to amazingly generous people. About 15 or so items were bid on in the silent auction. A delicious dinner was served. Over $15,000 was raised. God moved. He is so faithful.



There are times that doing Mercy Project is difficult. It takes away from family time. It takes my husband away to the other side of the world a lot. I wonder if this is really what we need to be doing. And then Thursday night happens, and the Lord reminds me that we are right where He has called us to be. He has great plans, and He is using US to bring His kingdom. That is so humbling. As I've reflected on Thursday night, one of my favorite songs keeps coming to mind. I believe this and will keep asking as we pray over our ministry with MP and those kids in Ghana.

"You said, 'ask and you will receive whatever you need.'
You said, 'pray and I'll hear from heaven, and I'll heal your land.'
You said, 'lift up your eyes, the harvest is here, the kingdom is near.'"

No comments: