Thursday, May 13, 2010

"Going to California with an aching in my heart." - Led Zeppelin

Micah's first trip out of the state was to a pretty decent locale. Last Tuesday, we left for four days in sunny California. We went to Malibu for the Pepperdine Lectures, and that is one ministry conference you definitely want to make room for! I am sure the lectures and classes were stellar, but the scenery is out of this world! I don't know how students ever leave after they graduate from Pepperdine. I mean, how can you even compare Dallas and Malibu? Needless to say, I certainly enjoyed the picturesque views of the ocean and perfect weather.

This was Micah's first trip out of state which meant that she would travel on an airplane for the first time. I was a little, okay A LOT, nervous about this. I am a worrier by nature, but I also despise offending people. Not that anybody enjoys it, but I am terrified of people being upset with me. Well, when traveling with a 5 month old, there is a pretty big risk of upsetting some people because, let's face it, babies are not always quiet little angels. I was a little bit on edge, and Chris and Micah both did a great job of handling me :) Micah really did well on the way there...she only fussed while I was putting her to sleep...and was P.E.R.F.E.C.T. on the way home!!!

While in Malibu, we stayed in the dorms which was an interesting experience with a baby. There was literally nothing in the rooms besides 2 twin beds, 2 desks, 2 dressers, and 2 bookshelves. We shared a bathroom with the people in the room next door. Interesting to say the least. Because of the time difference, Micah was ready to go to bed between 6:30 and 7:00 at night, so I didn't get a chance to go to the evening lectures {Chris really enjoyed them!}. The wireless internet was the only thing that saved me! I watched TV shows, checked facebook, and caught up on blogs from 7:00pm-9:00pm every night, in the dark, with a sleeping baby next to me. Craziness! We enjoyed some great meals with some great friends. We got to go to the beach a couple of times, and we got some great pictures of Micah's first time on the beach.







Seriously, precious! I could look at them forever. Thanks to Danielle Lough for the amazing photos!

We had a good time, but we both agreed that it is almost impossible to take a "vacation" with an infant. Micah still needed her naps and had to eat at the right times and had to go to bed early. Despite that, we enjoyed the getaway, and I know Chris enjoyed all the classes and lectures he went to. I would definitely put Pepperdine Lectures at the top of my list of ministry conferences :)

3 comments:

Mom & Mimi said...

Sharing a bathroom brings back some memories huh?? You all were definitely surrounded by beauty out there. The family pics are gorgeous. I'm anxious to hear more about the trip and see all the pics!

Love you honey,
momma

lindsey said...

absolutely precious. i love it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip. I just love the pictures on the beach. Brings back memories of Larry and I were first married and would get up on Saturday mornings, drive through Jack in the Box for Breakfast Jack sandwiches and go spend the day at the beach. Those were some carefree times, prekids. Miss you guys!

Love you sweet Micah!
Grandmommy