Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Brokenness

Yesterday was a sad day.
It was a sad day for anyone who heard of the news out of Boston, but it was particularly sad for the running community.  That hits pretty close to home in this house.  As a woman married to a man who has directed races including two marathons and run 14 others, it was shocking, painful, and sad.  The kind of sad that cuts deep to your bones and rocks you.
My heart is broken for the people in Boston...those that ran, their families, the spectators, the race officials, the medical and emergency personnel.  
My heart is also broken for the person who put these acts into motion.  The darkness is overwhelming.
We are all broken.
Yet, this particular person's brokenness manifested itself in a way that harmed many people.  It tainted what was to be an exciting and celebratory day.
It is so easy to get caught up in that, and I do.  My heart goes to those dark places and grieves with those that lost.  I cling a little tighter to those that I love and make sure that I spend a little more time being present with them and soaking them in because that could've been me. Or my kids. Or my husband.  And, it is okay to go to those lonely places.  God is there.
But, I want to see the goodness too.  I want to see God in the people that rushed to care for the wounded.  I want to see God in the runners that crossed the finish line only to head straight to the hospital to give blood.  I want to see God in the people that are already collaborating to help the Boston Marathon and the city of Boston and those injured in whatever ways possible.
I saw this quote on a friend's facebook page, and I really want to cling to it.  It brings me hope.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers--so many caring people in this world." -Mister Rogers

Praying for all those affected.  
Praying that I will always be someone who points toward the light even in the intense darkness and that I will become part of that light.

No comments: