Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ghana, part 3: Lake Volta

On Tuesday morning, we had the opportunity to go out on Lake Volta to see the children working with our own eyes. We woke up early and were headed to the lake by 6:00am. We all loaded up on the boat that George and his son use to gather information about the children that will one day help them to rescue these children. There were about 20 of us on the boat, and I am sure we were quite the sight out on Lake Volta that morning.
Chris had told me stories of how the children were out early working, but I honestly wasn't so sure that they would already be out at 6:00am on a chilly morning. I quickly realized my mistake as we began to see boats scattered throughout the lake. As we pulled up to a few boats, I could see their rags for clothes and the infections that were on their scalps. One boy was visibly shaking from the cold air and the water hitting him while he worked to pull in the nets laid out the day before. All he had on was a pair of small, worn out shorts, and his sunken face looked miserable.


We pulled up next to one boat, and there was a small boy in the back named Abraham. He was probably 8 or 9 years old, and he was afraid. He was working the back of the boat, steering it with a paddle, and as we came closer, we could see the fear in his eyes as he desperately tried to guide his end of the boat away from us. After we handed him some candy and a blanket, the fear began to melt away. Some of us began reaching out our hands, and he took mine in his.

I sat there, holding hands with this little boy who was in slavery, and I had the profound chance to show him love, justice, and mercy. As I watched more members of our group hold his hand, rub his arm, and say his name, a faint smile appeared on Abraham's face. On that boat in the middle of a lake in Ghana, Africa, I participated in something divine. I was standing on holy ground, and I know that God was present.
It was truly unbelievable to me to look around on that lake and see all of the children that were working. Their lives are nothing like my sweet Micah's. They do not have the opportunity to play, run, and laugh. They do not have mommies and daddies to hug them and tell them how much they are loved and matter. That morning on the lake was really hard. It was so difficult to look in these little boys' faces and know how hard they work and how mistreated they are and not be able to just scoop them up in the boat with us. Thinking about Micah while out on the lake brought me to tears because I want these boys to know the love that she will and already does know. It was so hard. The Lord broke my heart for what breaks His.



But, as heartbreaking as it was, it was also transformative. I don't believe that any member of our group will ever be the same after looking into the eyes of those children. That night, we had some group time, and it was just amazing the way that God transformed us in a single morning out on that lake. After spending several days with some precious children at the Village of Life, God reminded us of what they had been through. The smiles on the faces of the kids at the Village are incredible, and they know that God loves them. But, there are more children that desperately need that chance. I am a changed person, and I will never forget Abraham's face. I pray that one day he, too, will be rescued and will be able to run, play, laugh, and be loved like every child deserves.

1 comment:

Sarah Ross said...

Hey Stacey! It has been way too long since I have talked to you! I love reading your blog and getting to keep up with you and your sweet family :) Your sweet baby girl is 2 months older than my Taryn and I love to read all the things that Micah is doing so I kinda know what to expect in the next month. I have also really loved reading about your experience in Ghana. I have shared this with my mom and my sister. They have gone on international mission trips to Wales, but it was nothing like your experience. My mom is very interested in how you all get to go to Ghana. Is it open to anyone that would like to go or is it through an organization? The mission trips that they go on are through the Baptist General Convention and Go Students which is with Falls Creek. They would love to look over all the information that you have if it would even be possible for them to go one day. Thank you so much :)