Sunday, July 8, 2012

We Survived!

What a week we've had!
I fully intended to blog more than just one time last week, but being a single mommy, even with loads of help, is exhausting.  I am seriously in awe of women {and men} who are able to keep a job, parent their children, maintain their homes, and remain coherent and vertical.  Amazing.

Our week started off great.  We saw Chris off on Thursday, and mommy cried, per usual.  Maybe one day I won't cry? {doubt it.} We had lots of visitors, friends and family, who were so incredible to help out in whatever way I needed.  I am just so thankful for the community we have here.   We suffered through some allergies, had lots of play time, went swimming, went to the splash pad with friends, and tried to keep ourselves busy.
There were definitely moments that were difficult.  
I'm not great at being alone.  
I've tried to pretend that I am, but the truth is that I really just don't like it.
The good news is that the Lord is changing my heart and granting me freedom from so many of my fears that have held me hostage.  I am slowly feeling release, and it is sweet. 
Beyond the whole being alone thing, I had at least one of those days where I wished for 5:00pm just so I could hand off the reigns for even 30 minutes and catch my breath, regain my composure, and be ready to be mommy again.  Unfortunately, there was no one to hand off to on that particular day.  So, we struggled through and made it, and I think Micah and I both were ready to say goodnight to each other when it was time :)

We celebrated the fourth in true, low-key fashion.
We hung out around the house, and it was perfect.  Just what we needed after several days of activities.
Micah and Mimi made a special dessert, and we grilled hot dogs.
Both kids were in bed by 8:00pm, and I think I was in bed by 9:30pm.
Perfect :)

On Thursday, the tides began to turn. Beckett woke up at 5:40am sobbing.  This is super unusual for him, but he had been running a low-grade fever the night before.  I assumed it was just teething.  Wrong.
Poor boy was HOT.  I knew something wasn't quite right, and he was completely pitiful.  It was so sad. I took him to the doctor that afternoon, and his poor little throat looked awful.  Just a viral infection, so no antibiotic just lots of TLC and ibuprofen.
Thankfully, he slept great that night and woke up feeling lots better.
Micah and I headed out to pick up the group from the airport in Houston on Friday afternoon, and about half an hour into the drive, Micah started complaining of a tummy ache.  Long story short, Micah woke up in the night with a tummy bug.  Yuck.
Welcome home, daddy :)
So, we spent the day yesterday snuggling our sick girl and nursing her back to health.
I think both kids are finally getting back to normal.
 
We've had a full week.
We survived.
I wanted to complain, and I did, a lot.
I am not proud of that. I really have nothing to complain about.
I have more than I need and am surrounded by people that love me and my family.
This week felt hard to me.  But, I don't want to forget how blessed we are.
 So, today, I am so grateful just to be together, my whole little family under one roof.
Sick or not, that feels good.

2 comments:

Alison said...

thanks for your honesty! it was wonderful to read that God is releasing you from some of the fears you get (i assume) while Chris is gone. so grateful you are blessed with such a loving and helpful partner! miss you guys!

lindsey said...

you're an amazing and strong woman! i am grateful that you are experiencing that sweet release from your fears. honesty is such a beautiful thing. love you so much!