Monday, February 21, 2011

ode to the first trimester

I officially welcomed the second trimester of this pregnancy last week.  Although I was not sad to say goodbye to the first 13 weeks, I was a little sad that I have hardly documented this pregnancy on the blog.  So, I decided to make a little tribute to the lovely first trimester.  Enjoy!
{A HUGE shout out to my awesome husband for taking all of my scattered thoughts and writing this amazing little diddy.  He's quite talented!}

An Ode To The First Trimester
Could this be true? Could this be right?
We hold our breaths in potential delight,
"Honey, look closer, I think that’s two lines!!!"
We test again to make sure, yes 4 different times!
Hooray, there it is, clear as day,
Baby #2 is officially on the way!
Then the plotting began of how to tell the good news.
Christmas was coming and provided the perfect ruse.
Micah unknowingly sported her big sister shirt,
And the plan came together like we hoped it would work.
Family screaming and yelling, Lindsey running behind,
Micah crying and wondering if we’d all lost our minds.
A double announcement at the Field Family Christmas,
This was such a surprise that the grandparents nearly missed it.
Once that task was over, the real fun began,
Complete with the “queasies,” the cravings, and those divine sea bands.
Phenergen when it got bad, yummy stuff when it was good,
Thanking God for the Scholtzky’s and Wings ‘N More in my hood.
Diet Coke boots Diet Dr. Pepper, oranges and pickles always sound great,
And feeling so thirsty I could drink a whole lake.
An insurance snafu (or five or eight),
But that first glance at 9 weeks and 3 days was so worth the wait.
Could there be love at first sight? On a fuzzy sonogram?
Yes, because that’s my baby's precious feet, heart beat, and hands.
A perfect little bundle, a gift from above,
I am absolutely, completely, instantly in love.
As the weeks tick by and the nausea subsides,
My clothes grow tighter, and I have to improvise,
The old rubber band trick grows the jeans an inch or two,
And then the belly band comes out when that will no longer do.
Night after night, we pray for this child.
Not for good behavior or a temperament that’s mild,
But that God’s grace and mercy would rest on this womb,
That baby would grow up and love God and people too.
That our child would pursue justice and mercy all the days of its life,
And walk closely with God, both in good times and strife.
You are adored my precious child, loved on both heaven and earth.
We will meet you before we know it, on the day of your birth.

5 comments:

marin' said...

Love it! Again so happy for your whole family!

momyoung said...

I am so happy for your little family. God smiles on you, daily.

Gretchen said...

This is amazing, as is your sweet family. :)

lindsey said...

love all FOUR of you!!!! xoxo - your sister, who ran late

Mom & Mimi said...

This is great..I love it!